The English Language Learning Institute was originally founded in 1979 as the Intensive English Program at West Virginia University. Our program has a long history as a well-established program for international students needing to improve their English proficiency prior to entering an academic course of study.
ELLI has recently begun an expansion project to include accelerated access to university courses for those who want to improve their English language skills while pursuing an undergraduate degree. Our new Accelerated Mountaineer Program for English as a Second Language provides undergraduate students with a fast and convenient path to earn credits for their bachelor's degree.
The IEP is accredited with the American Association of Intensive English Programs, the Consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs and Commission on English Language Program Accreditation.
AMP ESL students are admitted and enrolled as WVU students and have full access to all the services and activities at WVU and Student Life.
The English Language Learning Institute, through its AMP ESL and IEP programs, serves the English language learning and cultural needs of WVU’s students who are building their academic English language proficiency by:
- Preparing students for the rigors of study in an American academic setting
- Facilitating global understanding and awareness of cultural diversity
- Cultivating an atmosphere of service, personal attention, respect and mutual cooperation
- Fostering the use of current methods and mentoring for instructor professional development
- Incorporating special programs for professional and nontraditional students
ELLI accomplishes these objectives by providing a supportive and secure environment where students of all cultures can participate in classes and activities which advance English proficiency.